What are the most common mental health problems, what can you do about them and how do you improve your mental health?
Learn to recognise, prevent and deal with your mental health problems
Mental health problems often develop during the teenage period. As many as 1 out of 5 teenagers are dealing with these problems. Therefore, it is important that you know how to recognise common mental health problems, know how they arise, what you can do to prevent them and what you should do when you actually suffer from them. This course, designed specifically for young people, will help you find out more.
What topics will you cover?
- What is mental health?
- What are common mental health problems?
- What are the causes of mental health problems?
- What to do when you experience mental health problems.
- How to boost your own mental health.
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts.
- Available now
- 21 September 2020
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to:
- Identify symptoms of the following mental health problems: eating disorders, depression, anxiety, autism, ADHD, addiction, antisocial behaviour and psychosis.
- Describe personal, environmental and genetic factors as possible causes of psychological problems.
- Explain that there is no a clear dividing line between mentally-healthy and not mentally-healthy people.
- Describe ways to deal with psychological problems.
Who is the course for?
This course has been created for young people aged over 14, wanting to know more about mental health. It might also be of interest to parents, caregivers, teachers and medical professionals.
Who will you learn with?
Postdoc at the University Medical Center Groningen; Coordinator of this MOOC about mental health for young people.
Professor at the University Medical Center Groningen; director of a large longitudinal study about adolescent mental health (TRAILS); editor of the Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry.
Who developed the course?
University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, in the north of the Netherlands.
University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge contributes to society through the pursuit of excellent education, learning, and research.
University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG)
UMCG is building the future of health through its focus on complex patient care, research, education and training.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learn 100% online with world-class universities and industry experts. Develop your career, learn a new skill, or pursue your hobbies with flexible online courses.